Please Make This Stop

    I filed some complaints today. But more on that in a minute. 

    I don’t know about you, but I am worn out by solicitations. Sales people are everywhere; door-to-door, your smart phone, and even in stores when you just want to shop in peace (This excludes fundraising for children’s activities. That’s completely different).

    I have previously written to our town’s local paper because I am that aggravated by door-to-door sales people trying to sell me their product I do not need or want. Especially when they have been told no before and they show up again. Or keep pushing after they are told no. They need to make a ‘Do Not Disturb’ list for people that do not want them at their house unannounced. Unless consumers are the ones initiating contact and have time to prepare, it’s time to stop letting businesses call the shots on this selling technique.

    This past Friday I received a robocall. My number has been on the Do Not Call registry since 2007. The voicemail said they applied a fifty percent discount on my bill. Apparently, a phantom bill because it was from a company I have never done business with and never contacted.

    So, I filed with the FTC. Now I know you may be thinking, what is the point? The agency needs the data about the calls you receive to help stop them from happening and to fine the companies that do not abide by the law. Without consumers’ reports, nothing can be done. So please file when you get a call; whether it’s live, a voicemail, or just a spam number with no message. Your complaint matters.

    In 2022 and last month, I was approached in a wholesale store by salespeople while shopping. The first time I was told about a $50 gift card if I had a certain utility. I stopped them right there and went about my business. I complained to corporate twice; once back then and once last month. I am sure nothing will come of it directly since the first complaint didn’t do anything. Why in the world would they want their consumers to shop in peace and have a joyful experience? 

    But not having immediate results shouldn’t stop you from taking another approach. So, I decided to file with my state’s consumer protection department. I feel that consumers do not need to be approached by salespeople for products that are not sold in that store. Catching people off guard and not allowing them to be prepared to ask the appropriate questions and do research beforehand needs to end. 

    Long before the pandemic, as this stand is no longer there, I was leaving said store and a gentleman asked me to enter for a free home improvement something or another. I said no and he said “But I have to meet my quota.” That’s all they care about; is getting your information to keep contacting you. And until more people say no and take a stand, the more things like this will be allowed to happen.

    I encourage you to take advantage of the many ways to file a complaint when you feel it’s necessary. I can even help you find the agency in your state if needed. But please, it’s important for companies and salespeople to be held to a higher standard in how they conduct business. Your voice matters. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2024 Word

We don't say this to kids, but why say it to adults?

How Less Than $50 Filled My Heart