We don't say this to kids, but why say it to adults?

     I recently had a discussion with someone the other day, about the need to speak up. I said that while using your voice is not an overnight success, to trust me that there is power in it. I was then asked what I do. 

        I explained I was very vocal in our school district, I comment on social media, and write letters to the town paper…things I can do when I can’t be physically present if there is a meeting. I was told that one voice can’t make a difference. Honestly, I was blown away by this comment. They went on to add that the basic person can’t do anything, that if you are not directly involved there’s nothing that can be done to change things.

    I feel this is such an antiquated and poor attitude to have. Why say these things? I think it’s because a lot of people want immediate results. Come on. It’s not going to happen. Heck, you may not even be around to see a difference that is made. But should that mean you do nothing? I believe this attitude and way of thinking is why so many people never start or give up. Frankly, it’s quite sad. There are so many beautiful minds and voices out there that we may never know about because they think they don’t matter.

    This is especially hard when politics are involved. Sometimes even religion. We have been trained to not talk about certain things at work, in school, at the dinner table, and at holidays with family. This is why there is such a divide and everything is a mess; no one wants to speak up because others tell them not to. Well, it’s NOT their decision. We all have a right to talk.

    The bystanders that were around during this conversation either were silent or changed the subject. When you try to undo barriers that have been in place for so long, no one wants to participate. It’s sad and aggravating. Excuses and “rules” must be balled up and put into the garbage, tossed into the fire, and squashed like a bug, if we EVER want to see any progress.

    I have had people reach out and thank me, or that tell me to keep it up on things I have been vocal about. It’s all I need to keep taking those baby steps. But even if they didn’t, I truly feel deep in my bones that every single voice matters, no matter how loud or soft it is. PERIOD.

    I felt I lost the battle that day. But that’s ok. Every one of them isn’t going to be won. However, never tell someone that what they do will not make a difference. Why would you say something like that? We don’t say this to children who want to make things better, so why are we saying it to adults?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2024 Word

How Less Than $50 Filled My Heart