How Less Than $50 Filled My Heart

    Did you know that some actions are voices that are being used in silence?

    A flyer had come home from my daughter’s elementary school. The school district’s food pantry needed breakfast items. I definitely wanted to help and set the flyer in the “to do” pile. A few days went by and some more papers were added to the pile. Then a snow storm came. That led to a trip to the grocery store but I forgot to grab some donations. Driving bans and school closures came and as I was cleaning, I found the flyer. There was a due date and thank goodness school reopened in time for me to still send items in.

    I felt it was a sign from above that I saw the flyer again when I did.

    I made a special trip to the store and spent $16.52. As I was checking out, it made me sad that in 2024, there are still food struggles. But I was happy to make a small contribution, and it felt a little bit of difference was made.

    But it didn’t end there. When I was at home and sent the food off with my daughter on the school bus, my middle-schooler son said that the 8th grade food bin at school had maybe two or three items in it. My heart sank so I emailed the principal, asking what was most needed.

    The next night, I went back to the store and bought soup and more breakfast items. The total was $31.97. It was another feeling of sadness; but I didn’t want that to be the sole reason behind the effort. I thought of how this could bring a bit of happiness to someone, whatever their current struggle might be. How this act was placed in my heart from above.

    So, over the course of a few days, a total of $48.49 hopefully brought a bit of joy or relief to some families. I am not writing this to be all “look at what I did.” I am writing this to encourage you to also help in some way. I can’t say to do something without myself having those same actions. It doesn’t have to be a monetary donation, as there are many other ways to help. But just imagine what could happen if we all put some light into the darkness.

   As always – your voice matters. What silent voice can you adopt this week?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2024 Word

We don't say this to kids, but why say it to adults?